Effective from 08 Feb 2019
We believe sponsoring competitions on UNI should result in better experiences for people using the platform and positive results for our sponsor partners. We want your brand to reach the right audience and have your products or services be helpful to people. As a result, we have certain standards for how you showcase your brand with the competitions and may reject some branded contents that do not comply with these standards. We have the right, but not the responsibility, to review your content for compliance with our standards. However, in all cases, you bear responsibility for reviewing and ensuring all sponsored content comply with our Sponsoring Policies. Accordingly, we ask you to familiarize yourself with these Sponsoring Policies carefully.
These Sponsoring Policies govern all sponsored content and brands logo that run on the UNI platform. These sponsoring policies expressly are incorporated into the Sponsoring Terms. All capitalized terms in these Sponsoring Policies will have the same meaning as in the Sponsoring Terms.
1. Business name policies
Your Sponsored by business name should reflect the entity you are sponsoring for. It should not include qualifiers, taglines, or descriptions outside of the business name itself. You may reference the specific product or brand name your sponsorship is about, and you may include a reference to the corporate structure of your business.
- Not permitted: UNI, World’s largest competition organizer
- Acceptable: UNI
- Acceptable: uni.xyz
- Acceptable: competitions.UNI
2. Sponsorship copy policies
UNI's sponsorship copy consists of the Name of the business (in bold) and tag line which will be visible all across UNI:
- Business Name: Maximum of 50 characters. A business name should be your correct business name so that people can identify your business quickly.
- Tag line: Maximum of 120 characters. Provide more detail on the product or service or cause you want to promote by sponsoring a competition. We may provide you options to input multiple tagline and callout links.
All promotional content/material must adhere to our UNI content policies and guidelines. Your sponsored content should be clear, well-formatted, and free from grammatical, capitalization, and punctuation errors. Overall, the general rules for your sponsored content are:
- Do write the copy of your sponsored content in English only.
- Do make sure your sponsored content is free from grammatical, capitalization, and punctuation errors.
- Do not include links in your sponsored content.
- Do not use profanity.
- Do not include sexual-related content in your copy.
- Do not use provocative or shocking language, or create misleading expectations in your sponsored content copy in order to attract users to click on your website.
- Do not mention UNI in your sponsored content copy without prior written permission and approval from UNI.
Correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar make your sponsored content better and easier to read. Here are some guidelines you should follow when crafting your copy:
- Sponsored content text must use proper grammar and spelling. American and British English are both acceptable.
- Not permitted: Try our editing services so you don't make silly spleling mitskaes.
- Acceptable: Try our editing services so you don't make silly spelling mistakes.
- Sentence fragments are allowed.
- Include a single space between sentences.
- Acceptable: Get 20% off all products at our workshop. Join our session today.
- There should not be spaces before punctuation marks like periods and commas.
- Not permitted: Find out which 20 companies will be raising money this year . Download our e-book today .
- Acceptable: Find out which 20 companies will be raising money this year. Download our e-book today.
- Correct capitalization must be used at all times. Use sentence case in both the headline and body.
- Not permitted: 40% off if you register now. Don't miss this GREAT DEAL.
- Not permitted: 40% Off If You Register Now. Don’t Miss This Great Deal.
- Acceptable: 40% off if you register now. Don't miss this great deal.
- Capitalization is allowed for common acronyms, abbreviations, or initialisms. Capitalization is also allowed for trademarks, brand names, or product names that are consistently capitalized on your website or app.
- Acceptable: 40% off if you register now. Register ASAP to not miss this great deal.
- Proper nouns (company names, product names, locations, etc.) should be capitalized.
- Acronyms (e.g. HTML, NATO, FAQ) should be capitalized.
- Ellipses are not permitted.
- Not permitted: Sign-up for a free trial today...
- Acceptable: Sign-up for a free trial today.
- The Headline and Body Text fields should end with a punctuation mark.
- Not permitted: We are looking for machine learning experts. Learn more today
- Acceptable: We are looking for machine learning experts. Learn more today.
- The use of symbols is OK as long as they are being used correctly. Any symbol that is used as clickbait (used solely with the intention to grab the reader’s attention) is not allowed.
- Should reflect the content of your landing page destination and deliver the expected experience when clicked. If we determine that your sponsored content do not accurately reflect the content of your landing page, they may be rejected.
- Should consist of lowercase letters. For example, the words “business” and “UNI” should be displayed as business.uni.xyz).
- Should not exceed 30 characters.
- Do not use your display URL field as another line for sponsored content.
4. Landing pages and destination URL policies
Your destination URL must function properly in all browsers and on all platforms. Here is what you should be aware of when building your landing pages:
- Should be in English only.
- Should clearly and accurately reflect the product or service being promoted in your sponsored content.
- Should not trigger irrelevant pop-ups or pop-unders when someone arrives upon or exits the page.
- Should not automatically initiate downloads, malware, or spyware upon arrival.
- Should not link to a file that requires an additional program or application in order to view content.
- Should not have confusing design elements nor include fake clickable elements to entice clicks.
- Should not contain images or words that are included for sensational or shock purposes. This includes images and words that are sensational, aggressive, offensive, disrespectful, threatening, or excessively violent. We also do not permit clickbait contents, including anything that is sensationalist, hyperbolic, alarmist, or that plays on people's fears or self-esteem.
- Should not mention UNI unless you have obtained permission first.
- Should not include videos that auto-play with sound upon arrival.
- Should lead to a page owned by your organization, to a web storefront selling your product or service, or to an article about your product or service. If we determine that your display URLs aren't accurately reflecting the destination URL you're directing people to, we reserve the right to reject your sponsored content.
- Should not lead people to a site that is an error page or is under construction.
- Should not be directed to a page that does not explicitly belong to your company, but can be directed to your UNI company account.
You must have the rights to use the images and logos when you are putting sponsored by logo. In addition to adhering to our UNI content policies and guidelines, images in sponsored content:
• Should not lack clarity: images should be relevant to the text in the sponsorship copy or landing page, should not have non-English text, and not be too blurry or unclear to be easily viewable.
• Should not be misleading: images should not include elements designed to trick a person into clicking, and should not incorporate images with non-existent functionality, such as play buttons, notification jewels, or checkboxes that are part of the image itself and are not actually functional.
• Should not include objectionable or excessive text: images should not include memes, profanity, or more than 20% text.
• Should not be sexual in nature: images should not depict nudity in any form, sexual acts in any form, nor sexual innuendo.
• Should not include violence: images should not depict violent acts or the physical results of violent acts, people harming themselves or others, graphic, gory content, nor Images with excessive blood.
• Should not include references to alcohol or drugs: images should not depict alcohol or drugs in any form, nor nicotine/tobacco products or the use of nicotine/tobacco products.
• Should not be sensational or controversial: images should not insult or disparage an individual person or groups of people, and should not involve sensational images that are meant to draw your attention by shocking you.
• Should not include “before-and-after” images: images should not show unexpected or unlikely results in regards to weight loss, and images must not imply or attempt to generate negative self-perception in order to promote diet, weight loss, or other health related products.
• Should not include animation: images should not include animations or GIFs.
All information presented in your sponsored content must be relevant to the product or services you are offering and must not misrepresent what you are trying to promote. This applies to all components of your sponsored content as well as your landing pages.
In general, we do not permit:
- Sponsorship that do not accurately and truthfully represent your company, your products, or your services.
- Promotions that prompt users to initiate a purchase, download, or other commitment without first providing all relevant information and obtaining the user's explicit consent.
Your sponsored content are likely to be rejected if they:
- Promise a promotional offer in then make it difficult to locate on your landing page.
- Make misleading or exaggerated claims about your products and services.
- Make false statements about your identity or qualifications.
- Use false claims or claims that entice the user with an improbable result (even if this result is possible) as the likely outcome that a user can expect.
- Falsely imply affiliation with, or endorsement by, another individual, organization, product, or service.
- Mislead or trick the user into interacting with them.
- Make competitive claims (usually contents that contain superlatives such as “best,” “#1,” “top”) without third-party verification on your landing page. Without third-party verification, your sponsored content may be considered misleading.
- Hide or deliberately conceal or misstate information about your business, product, or services. This includes not disclosing your billing practices and terms of payment.
Prohibited content is not allowed on UNI at all and any sponsored content that consist of prohibited content will be rejected and removed from UNI.
There are 3 principles that guide our decisions on the type of content we prohibit. They are:
- Content that enable dishonest behavior
- Content that we deem inappropriate for our users and community
- Content that could endanger other people
1. Content that enable dishonest or illegal behavior
We want to provide an honest and trustworthy experience for our users and so do not allow any sponsored content that enable dishonest or illegal behavior on UNI.
- Do not promote content such as spyware, malware, or any other type of software that results in a misleading or deceptive user experience.
- Copyrighted content and trademark violations
- Content (including landing pages) must not contain any content that infringes upon or violates the rights of any third party. This includes copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other personal or proprietary rights. Sponsors are responsible for proper trademark and copyright use in their sponsored content as well as landing pages and UNI reserves the right to remove sponsored content in response to trademark and copyright owner complaints.
- Do not promote or sell false documentation such as fake IDs, passports, or other official documents.
- Imitation or counterfeit goods
- Do not promote the sale of counterfeit goods. Counterfeit goods mimic the brand features of the actual product in the attempt to pass themselves off as genuine.
- Do not promote products, services, or business models that we consider unacceptable. This could be related to payday loans, paycheck advances, other short-term loans.
- Do not promote business models that do not clearly explain their billing policy or value proposition as we consider this deceptive and misleading.
- Do not promote payday loan services.
- Buying social media followers/app installs
- Do not promote services where people can purchase social media followers/likes or app installs/reviews.
- Do not promote services that enable academic fraud.
- Do not promote the sale of live animals or products from endangered or at-risk species.
2. Content that we deem inappropriate for our users and community
- Adult products or services
- Do not promote adult-oriented services or products that include any form of nudity, depictions of people in explicit or suggestive positions, or activities that are overly suggestive or sexually provocative.
- Do not promote or reference alcohol in your sponsored content.
- Weight loss products and services
- Do not promote weight loss products or services that make unrealistic claims encouraging unhealthy weight loss goals.
- Do not promote weight loss pills, weight loss supplements, or fat burners.
- Gambling and games
- Do not promote online gambling, lotteries, casinos, sports bookings, fantasy sports, bingo, or poker.
- Crowdfunding platforms
- Do not promote campaigns that require crowdsourced funding.
- Astrology, faith healing, and psychic readings
- Deceptive content
- Do not promote misleading news or content that deceives users into believing false information.
3. Sponsored content that could endanger other people
- Unsafe supplements, illegal, or recreational drugs
- Do not promote online pharmacies, the sale of prescription and recreational drugs, supplements that are known to be questionable or unsafe.
- Do not promote tobacco products, which include cigarettes, e-cigarettes, chewing tobacco, or other paraphernalia like pipes, pipe cleaners, or rolling papers.
- Do not promote acts that we deem as shocking, sensationalist, disrespectful, or excessively violent. This includes any content that expresses hatred, harassment, racism, sexism, religious or political intolerance.
- Weapons, ammunition, and explosives
- Do not promote firearms, ammunition, firearm accessories, or other types of weapons. We also do not allow sponsored content that provide instructions on how to handle firearms that may lead to harming or killing people.
- High-risk practices
- Do not promote extremely high-risk practices that could result in substantial harm to a person.
- Do not promote unrealistic cures.
Other types of content we prohibit:
- We do not allow sponsors to include their contact information (such as phone numbers or e-mail addresses) in sponsored content.
- Information on how an sponsors can be contacted should be provided in the landing page, not in the sponsored content.
- We do not allow affiliate links or affiliate programs.
- It is OK to link to your own product/service page. However, it is not OK to promote affiliate links.
The following content is allowed on UNI on a limited basis. Please contact us if you intend to promote a product/service that falls under the following categories.
- Your content cannot mislead users, so avoid content that may be perceived as enabling dishonest behavior. We encourage sponsored content that is held to the same standard as the content we value on UNI. Please make sure your content are spam-free and adhere to local laws and regulations.
- Healthcare and medicine
- We restrict the promotion of healthcare-related content. This includes the following:
- Over the counter medication
- Prescription medication and information about prescription medication
- Online and offline pharmacies
- Medical services and procedures
- Clinical trial recruitment
- We allow the promotion of:
- Financial Services
- ICOs must disclose any financial risk involved in investing on the landing page, a separate Terms of Service page, or a white paper. The disclosure must state that the value of the tokens being offered are not guaranteed and could depreciate in full at any time.
- All other products and services must receive explicit approval from UNI.
- Foreign exchange services
- We allow the promotion of:
- Forex brokers and trading platforms
- Banks and credit unions offering currency exchange services
- Brokers must disclose any financial risk involved in investing on the landing page or a separate Terms of Service page. The disclosure must state that forex trading involves risk of loss.
- All other products and services must receive explicit approval from UNI.
- Subscription services
- Sponsored content that promote products or services that include automatic renewal, negative options, free-to-pay conversion billing products, or mobile marketing are subject to our subscription services requirements:
- Subscription terms must be made clear to people in the sponsored content or you must use the “Subscribe Now” Call-to-Action.
- The landing page must:
- Describe and display your terms and conditions, which include important information such as how to cancel the service.
- Require that people check a box in order to accept the terms and services. The box should not be checked by default.
- Clearly represent the price of your promoted service, including any details of recurring charges.
- If your sponsored content is for a free trial, it must clearly disclose information such as: any recurring charge beyond the free trial, when the charge will take place, and how much it will be.
- Political content
- We allow content that promote specific candidates, parties, or political action committees if they have been verified by a reseller partnered with UNI.
- We allow content that promote specific views on political issues with the purpose of influencing an election outcome if they have been verified by a reseller partnered with UNI.
- We do not allow negative campaigning content that attack a political opponent, which is in line with UNI's Acceptable Use Policy.
- Sponsored contents should not use hyperbolic language and play on people's fears.
- We allow negative campaigning contents that are fact-based and use neutral language.
- Sponsored contents must be in compliance with any election “silence periods.”
- Sponsored contents must be in compliance with local laws and regulations.
- Dating services
- Sponsored contents should not have any sexual emphasis.
- Sponsored contents should not indicate that people could meet or connect with fictitious or specific individuals.
- Sponsored contents should not suggest that a person has or might be searched for or interacted with in any way.
- Sponsored contents should not directly assume certain user attributes (race, religion, age).
9. Choosing the right topics for your campaign
Choosing relevant topics for your campaign will ensure that your Sponsored contents reach the right people. Conversely, selecting irrelevant or inappropriate topics may result in an ineffective campaign and may degrade the user experience on UNI.
Here are tips to selecting topics that will result in a more effective campaign:
- Choose topics that align most with keywords that people typically use when searching for information about your products and services.
- Identify keywords within your sponsored content copy that might be relevant and aligned with topics that already exist on UNI.
- Look for keywords that you've used on other advertising platforms that have been effective and could translate well into preexisting topics on UNI.
- Specific topics:
- Selecting relevant and specific topics will ensure your Sponsored contents appears on question pages with topics that apply to your products and services. However, keep in mind that if your topics are too specific, you might not able to reach as many people as you'd like. Applying topics that are too broad may result in lower quality leads. Your best strategy is to strike the right balance between specific and broad topics.
- Your company/product or competitor topics:
- Find out if your company or product has its own topic on UNI and add that as one of your target topics.
- See if your competitors and their products have their own topics on UNI that you can use as targeting.
- If your campaign is found to have irrelevant or inappropriate topics applied, we will take steps to resolve, including removing irrelevant topics from your campaign or pausing you campaign and stopping Sponsored contents delivery until the issue is resolved.
Questions about our sponsorship policies?
If you have any questions about these policies, please contact us.